In 2001, the Six Year Marinduque Rabies Eradication Program was launched to address the alarmingly increasing number of dog bite cases and human death attributed to rabies infection.
Rabies was once reported at Marinduque Provincial Hospital as one of the 10 leading causes of Morbidity & of Mortality concern before the program started.
The program was divided into Two Phases;
- CY-2001-2003 Information & Prevention Phase
- CY-2004-2007 Control & Eradication Phase
- To bring down the number of dog population in a manageable proportion
baseline: 52,000 head – target: 35,000 head
- To bring down the number of dog bite cases by 80%
baseline: 850 to 925 annually
GOAL: To declare Marinduque as Rabies-Free Province by 2013
Note: MARINDUQUE was declared as RABIES FREE ZONE by a joint declaration of the Department of Health and Department of Agriculture during the celebration of World Rabies Day held at Makati City Hall, Makati City on September 28, 2012.
Mission: To protect both human and animal population against rabies
Vision: Marinduque – An island province whose people are free from anxiety of senseless death due to rabies
March 2001 – Launching of 6 -Year Marinduque
Comprehensive Rabies Eradication Program
Highlights of Activities:
- Massive IEC for 1 ½ year through barangay assemblies and seminars
- Provincial Rabies Control Council (PRCC) was organized
- Covered 92% of all schools in the province
- Utilized radio stations, local cable TV and print media
- Installed billboards and tarpaulins
Field elimination & mass culling of stray dogs started on the 2nd semester of 2002 …
…after the Information & Education Campaign (IEC)….. failed to give tangible result …
REASON: Resistance of locals to CHANGE!!!…
LEGAL BASIS OF ELIMINATION:
Section 6 – No. 2,3,4,5,6,7 of RA 8485-” Animal Welfare Act of 1998”
and its Implementing Rules & Regulation
Section 5 – Provincial Ordinance No. 33 series of 1996 as amended by Provincial Ordinance No. 66 series of 2006
2003 – For the first time the province recorded a zero case of human rabies, attributed to mass vaccination & mass culling of stray dogs.
2004- Field elimination of stray dogs and mass culling was set aside…. to give way to the forthcoming synchronized national election….
Mass vaccination continues…..
MARCH 2005 – A Letter-Complaint against the Provincial Veterinarian was filed before the Office of the Ombudsman for allegedly violating;
R.A. 8485 – “Animal Welfare Act of 1998”
R.A. 6713 – ”Grave Misconduct” Prejudicial to the best interest of the public
- The case was dismissed in MARCH 2010
- The complainant filed a motion for reconsideration on September 2010
- the Honorable Ombudsman re-affirmed their 2010 decision last March 2011 in favor of the Provet
- the complainant, again, filed a motion for re-investigation last September 28, 2011
“DUMB IF YOU DO, DUMB IF YOU DON’T”
While waiting for the resolution of the complaint filed against the Provet in 2005…
Field elimination of stray dog was intensified in 2006 coupled with mass vaccination.
March 23, 2007–We transferred the responsibility of Rabies Eradication to MLGU’s after the culmination of 6-Year Marinduque Rabies Eradication Program. (the occasion was graced by Dr. Vic Atienza & two Japanese Vet)
Graphical presentation of 2001- 2007 Accomplishment
Rabies eradication in the municipality of Gasan, Boac, Buenavista and Mogpog came into a virtual halt after the 6-year Rabies Eradication program…. The Provincial Government decided to take back the program of eradicating rabies in Marinduque………
WHAT HAS BEEN DONE SO FAR ?